If you are doing business face to face, accepting credit card processing has become a necessity. Whether you have a store, restaurant or kiosk, Merchant Warehouse can help your business set up a merchant account and accept credit cards for less money than you ever thought possible.
How Retail Credit Card Processing Works
1. The merchant slides the customer's card through the credit card terminal and enters the sale amount. The terminal then connects to Merchant Services Expresses’ processor for authorization.
2. The processor passes that information onto the bank that issued the credit card where the bank checks to see if the card is valid and see if the charge amount is available on the card.
3. The issuing bank sends back an approval number or a decline message to Merchant Services Expresses’ processor.
4. The information is passed back to the credit card terminal which prints a receipt for the customer to sign if the card is approved. It takes approximately 12-15 seconds to complete steps 1-4 on a credit card machine using a phone line. The newer internet enabled machines can cut this time to just a few seconds.
5. At the end of the day the merchant must "settle" or "batch out" their terminal which will begin the final process of the transaction. In most cases Merchant Services Express can automatically settle the transactions at a specified time each day. Once the settlement process is initiated the funds are transferred from the card issuing bank and are electronically deposits them into the merchant's checking account. It typically takes no more than two business days from the time of the original transaction for the funds to reach the merchant's checking account.
For more information on how retail credit card processing works call us at the number above or request a merchant account online.
Merchant Services Express
Merchant Account Benefits
- Lowest rates in the industry
- No annual fees
- No application fees
- No reprogramming fees
- No customer service fees
- Friendly, knowledgeable agents